Various types of fertilizers are used to increase the nutritional content of plants. It includes both organic and chemical fertilizers. But there is no doubt that organic fertilizers are better than chemical fertilizers. In this episode, neem cake has also proved useful.
In this post, we will discuss all the queries regarding neem cake fertilizers such as:
- What is neem cake fertilizer?
- Why Neem Cake fertilizer is necessary for gardening?
- How to use neem cake liquid fertilizer for plants?
- Why do we need neem cake fertilizer?
- When to give neem cake liquid fertilizer to the plants?
- What precautions are needed while using neem cake fertilizer?
We have been using neem cake fertilizers in gardening for ages. Neem cake fertilizers act as a blessing for plants. We make this fertilizer by drying the neem seeds known as kernels and after that grinding them into the form of powder. It has lots of benefits. Let’s discuss them one by one.
Benefits of Neem Cake Fertilizer
1. Completely Organic Fertilizer
- Neem cake fertilizer is completely natural, pure, and the best fertilizer for plants.
- It does not have any chemicals and that is why it is very beneficial for our plants.
2. Dual Behaviour (Fertilizer + Pesticide)
Neem cake fertilizer works as a fertilizer as well as a pesticide.
(i) Firstly, it gives all the nutrients which are required by the plants for their growth and works as a fertilizer. In fact, when we add this to the soil it improves the texture and quality of the soil.
(ii) Secondly, it works as a pesticide and fungicide also. It protects our plants from bacteria, disease, fungi and different harmful insects.
3. Inexpensive and Easily Available
- Neem cake fertilizer is very budget-friendly and easily available at nurseries or online also.
- Pure neem fertilizer has a mild smell, you can check whether the fertilizer is pure or not.
4. Easy to prepare and use
Neem cake fertilizer is very easy to make and use. You do not need to decompose it for 2-3 months or mix it in water for 10-12 days.
5. Can be used for every plant
- You can give neem cake fertilizer to all types of plants be it outdoor, indoor, flowering, or non-flowering plants.
6. Non-toxic for bees and useful insects
- It does not do any harm to all the useful insects like bees, butterflies, caterpillars, and earthworms.
- Some insects eat small – small harmful insects and neem cake fertilizer does not do any harm to those useful insects also.
Why Neem Cake Fertilizer?
When we add neem fertilizer to the soil, all the hidden insects and fungus get vanished from the soil. In fact, it prevents roots also from getting damaged by these organisms.
Roots absorb this fertilizer and distribute it in all the parts of the plants which makes plants strong internally. It boosts the immunity of the plant.
How to use Neem Cake Fertilizer?
You can give it to your plants by two methods as mentioned below.
1. First Method to give Neem Cake Fertilizer
- Mix the neem cake directly in the soil while you are preparing your soil mixture along with sand and compost.
- Let’s say you are preparing a 5 kg soil mixture then you can add two handfuls of neem cake fertilizer to the soil.
- Keep the quantity very less, when you mix it in the soil a very mild smell will start coming, at that point only you need to stop adding it further.
2. Second Method (neem cake liquid fertilizer)
- This is also called neem cake liquid fertilizer.
- Here, you need to mix the neem cake fertilizer with the water and keep it for 24-48 hours to get absorbed in the water properly.
- Let’s say you have 100 plants, then take 2 handfuls of fertilizer in 2-3 liters of water and keep it for 24-48 hours.
- After 2 days you will see dark black-colored water, which means water has absorbed all the nutrients of the fertilizer and this is a very strong liquid.
- Before giving it to the plants, we need to dilute it. Mix this solution in approximately 30 liters of water.
- Now, give this water to your plants like normal water but make sure the top layer of soil is dry because if the soil is wet then it would not absorb anything.
When and how to give Neem cake liquid fertilizer?
You can follow both above methods for optimal results. If you are not using any other fertilizer then you can give it to your outdoor plants once a month. We ought to give it to plants before every rainy season because in the rainy season insects, and fungi are very common problems.
Neem cake fertilizer will act as a prevention for all these problems of insects, bacteria, and fungus. For indoor plants, you can give them once a year.
Neem cake fertilizer can be given to plants in any season, be it spring, autumn, summer, winter, etc.
Neem cake fertilizer makes plants very powerful from the inside. If by chance your plants get attacked by pests and you have given this fertilizer then it will help the plant to recover again very soon.
Advantages of Neem cake fertilizer
- The use of neem cake fertilizer in plants increases the fertility of the soil.
- 80 percent of diseases in plants can be avoided, by using neem cake fertilizer.
- Neem cake fertilizer is also environmentally friendly.
- Neem cake fertilizer also acts as an insecticide.
- When we use neem cake fertilizer we need to keep it a distance from our eyes and make sure does not touch our eyes with the hands having traces of this fertilizer.
Ques 1. What is neem cake fertilizer? nAns. Neem cake fertilizer is a type of organic fertilizer derived from the residue left after extracting oil from kernels that are present inside the neem seeds (Azadirachta indica). The neem cake is made by crushing the kernels which are present inside the neem seeds and extracting the oil. After the oil is removed, the remaining seed residue is dried and ground into a fine powder, which is then used as a fertilizer.
Ques 2. What are the benefits of neem cake fertilizer?nAns. The followings are the benefits of neem cake fertilizer:-
- It is completely organic and free of chemicals.
- It acts as both a fertilizer and a pesticide.
- It improves soil texture and quality.
- It can be used for all types of plants.
- It is non-toxic to bees and useful insects.
- It boosts plant immunity.
Ques 3. How does neem cake fertilizer act as a pesticide or insecticide?
Ans. The primary active ingredient present in the neem cake fertilizer that is responsible for its pesticidal and insecticidal properties is “Azadirachtin” which is a bioactive compound found in neem seeds.
When mixed with soil it protects roots from bacteria, diseases, fungus, and harmful insects. Due to this neem cake fertilizer acts as a pesticide or insecticide to protect plants
Ques 4. Is neem cake fertilizer easy to prepare and use?
Ans. Yes, neem cake fertilizer is easy to make and use. It does not require a long decomposition period. Neem cake can be directly mixed into the soil or can be fermented with water and then poured into the mixture.
Ques 5. Can neem cake fertilizer be used for all types of plants?
Ans. Yes, neem cake fertilizer can be used for both outdoor and indoor plants, including flowering and non-flowering plants.
Ques 6. Does neem cake fertilizer harm bees and useful insects?
Ans. Neem cake fertilizer is an organic fertilizer and it does not harm bees, butterflies, caterpillars and earthworms, etc. It is safe for these useful insects when used according to recommended guidelines and limited quantity.
Ques 7. What happens when neem cake fertilizer is added to the soil?
Ans. Neem cake fertilizer eliminates hidden insects and fungi in the soil and protects plant roots from damage caused by these organisms.
Ques 8. How to use dry neem cake fertilizer directly in the soil?
Ans. Two methods by which we can use dry neem cake fertilizer directly in the soil.
1. Mix neem cake fertilizer with the soil, along with sand and compost, during soil preparation. Use a small quantity and stop when a mild smell is noticeable.
2. Before applying neem cake, do the tilling of the soil by digging. Loosen the soil surface with a garden fork or a tiller so that the neem cake fertilizer can be added in small quantities and after that pour the water.
Ques 9. How should neem cake liquid fertilizer be used?
Ans. Neem cake liquid fertilizer is made by mixing neem cake with water and allowing it to ferment for 24-48 hours, a mild smell may be noticeable during the process.
Before giving it to the plants, we need to dilute it in a ratio of 1:10 with water. If you put the neem cake liquid fertilizer to ferment for more than 48 hours, let us say for a week, you have to check for the fungus in the liquid fertilizer, if the fungus is present then it is not usable.
Ques 10. How often should neem cake fertilizer be given to outdoor plants?
Ans. Neem cake fertilizer can be given once a month to outdoor plants, especially before the rainy season to prevent insect, bacterial, and fungal problems.
Ques 11. How often should neem cake fertilizer be given to indoor plants?
Ans. Neem cake fertilizer can be given to Indoor plants once a year in the spring season or before the rainy season in a very limited quantity. It is important to note that proper dosage and application techniques are crucial for indoor plants since it requires less quantity of water.
Avoid giving heavy quantities of fertilizer, as it can lead to nutrient imbalances or salt buildup in the soil.
Ques 12. Can neem cake fertilizer be used in any season?
Ans. The best time to use neem cake fertilizer is in the spring season or in the rainy season in limited quantities. In spring, when plants are entering their active growth phase, it is a suitable time to apply neem cake fertilizer. This can provide a nutrient boost to support vigorous growth, enhance root development, and improve overall plant health by protecting from bacteria, diseases, fungus, and harmful insects as the insects grow too fast in this season hence neem cake fertilizer is mandatory.
Ques 13. Does neem cake fertilizer increase soil fertility?
Ans. Yes, neem cake fertilizer helps increase soil fertility.
When applied to the soil, neem cake fertilizer helps improve soil structure, enhances microbial activity, promotes root development, and increases water-holding capacity. It also acts as a natural soil conditioner, improving overall soil fertility and reducing the need for synthetic chemical fertilizers.
Ques 14. Is neem cake fertilizer organic and environment-friendly?
Ans. Yes, neem cake fertilizer is an organic and environmentally friendly fertilizer. It is widely used in organic farming practices and is recognized as an alternative to synthetic chemical fertilizers.
Ques 15. What precautions should be taken while using neem cake fertilizer?
Ans. Neem cake fertilizer has a distinct and strong smell that can be described as pungent thus it should be handled and poured carefully to maintain safety and reduce any potential risks.
These measures include avoiding eye contact, using the correct tools, avoiding ingestion, and keeping it away from children, etc.
Ques 16. Where can neem cake fertilizer be obtained?
Ans. Neem cake fertilizer is easily available at nurseries or can be purchased online. Pure neem fertilizer has a mild smell, which can be used to check its purity.
This was all about NEEM CAKE FERTILIZER.
Watch the video “How to Make Neem Cake Liquid Fertilizer at Home”.