Tools and machines make our tasks easier. In gardening, we can accomplish even the most challenging tasks with the help of tools specifically designed for various purposes. Sometimes, a variety of gardening tools is needed to expedite the process, such as pruners, garden trowels, watering cans, and more. These tools serve various functions, from preparing the soil to sowing seeds, watering, and harvesting.
Gardening Tools and Their Uses
Let’s discuss each gardening tool in detail:
1. Gardening Trowel
The gardening trowel is used to loosen the soil and shift the soil from one pot to another pot.
- The edge of the trowel should be blunt from the front, not a sharp one. If the trowel is sharp then it might damage the roots.
- The handle of the trowel should be sturdy.
- The trowel is inexpensive, durable, and an easily available tool.
Many types of trowels are available, such as broad trowels, narrow trowels, those with blunt fronts, and those with sharp edges.
- A broad trowel can be used to shift the soil and different ingredients from one container to another container.
- A sharp and narrow trowel can be used to shift the plant with roots from one pot to another pot.
2. Spray Bottle
The spray bottle is one of the most important tools used in gardening.
- This tool is used very widely to give water, spray pesticides, spray liquid fertilizer, and other manure.
- With these spray bottles, plants can be washed properly.
Spray bottles are available in different sizes.
- A big-size bottle is preferred for water spray. For fertilizer, neem water, pesticides, and other manures, small-size bottles are fine.
- It is ideal to use different spray bottles for various solutions. For water, a larger bottle is preferred, while smaller bottles are suitable for fertilizers, neem water, pesticides, and other manures
- It is not necessary to buy it from the market, normal Colin or any Sanitizer bottle available at home can also be used as a spray bottle.
- These bottles are quite delicate and get damaged easily. Sometimes spring breaks down or the pump stops working. Handle them with care.
Pruner is also another important tool used in gardening for various purposes.
- This tool is used to cut the unwanted leaves, small branches, and hard stems of the plants.
- Like the stems of Night Jasmine (Parijat) and Hibiscus are strong, you cannot cut them easily with a scissor.
- If the stem is delicate and soft then you can use a scissor also.
- For pruning, it’s advisable to have a dedicated pair of scissors.”
- Many people do not know about Pruning.
4. Watering Cans
Watering cans are used to give water to the plants.
- If we give water with a mug, then there are chances of overwatering whereas in watering cans water comes out at a decent pace and in moderate quantity.
- One more thing, when water is given by a mug, water goes with more force on the surface of the soil. This pressure might disturb the placement of the plant.
Especially for indoor plants, watering cans should be used, as they provide a controlled and moderate flow of water. Outdoor plants also benefit from the use of watering cans.
5. Hand Weeder
Basically, this tool is used for two things:
- Firstly, for shifting any seedling from one pot to another pot. It can be done easily by using this tool.
- Secondly, to loosen the soil in small pots instead of trowel this can be used.
6. Gardening Fork
This tool is used to loosen the soil and prepare the land, making it especially useful for lawns or yards.
Rake is used to make lines on the surface of the gardening area for sowing seeds inside the soil.
- After making lines, seeds can be sowed in those lines to germinate. This tool is also used to remove unwanted weeds from the soil.
8. Seedling Tray
In seedling trays, multiple seeds can be grown simultaneously. These trays are an excellent option for those with limited space.
- Ice cream sticks can be used as tags to differentiate different saplings.
9. Green Net
During summers, when the temperature and sunlight both are very high, plants should be covered with a green net.
- The net provides shade and protection to plants from the intense heat during summer.
10. Jute Rope
Jute rope is needed to provide support to climbers.
- Climbing plants grow upward and require support sticks.
- Jute rope can be used to make these supporting sticks.
If you are a beginner in gardening, you may find that a normal trowel, watering can, and pruner can efficiently handle all your gardening tasks.